Due to its antioxidant properties, silymarin helps to protect cell membranes from damage induced by free radicals. Silymarin also stabilises liver cell membranes and prevents binding and penetration of toxins, such as ethanol, paracetamol, Amanita phalloides from poisonous mushrooms, and others. In addition, silymarin may help the liver to generate new cells and proteins to recover from injury. Apart from its benefits as antioxidant, silymarin also has anti-inflammatory properties. It may reduce the damaging effects of inflammation and prevent scar tissue formation.
In summary, silymarin:
- Is a free radical scavenger that protects cell membranes from damage caused by toxins and oxidative stress
- Increases total antioxidant capacity by increasing the levels of intracellular antioxidants, namely glutathione and superoxide dismutase (SOD)
- Helps the liver to recover from injury
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Protects against scar tissue formation
Bio-Milk Thistle 30 capsules
Each capsule contains:
Bio-Milk Thistle 360 mg
[from European organic milk thistle (Silybum marianum L.) extract 200 mg (80 % silymarin) and PHOSPHOcomplex™ 160 mg (phosphatidylcholine 104 mg, silybin 56 mg)]
Other ingredients are calcium phosphate, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, and vegetable cellulose (capsule).